• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jeep copyright questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mufan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

Hi,
I would like to design a Jeep T-shirt but I don't know if it is legal to do so. To what degree does the copyright on the logo binding? For instance, can i have a picture of a jeep on a shirt and sell it? Can I have a picture of a jeep and write JEEP on it and sell it? Where do I find information on this so I don't have Jeep lawyers calling me? Thanks!

FlyingRon

If you photographed / drew the image yourself, there's no copyright issue. If you used someone else's image, they may complain.

The bigger issue is trademark. A picture of a jeep would be fine. Using Jeep's trademarks (to include the word Jeep or their jeep-grille logo) might raise some issues.

c_wagoner

If you photographed / drew the image yourself, there's no copyright issue. If you used someone else's image, they may complain.

The bigger issue is trademark. A picture of a jeep would be fine. Using Jeep's trademarks (to include the word Jeep or their jeep-grille logo) might raise some issues.
I am trying to understand if the word "jeep" is trademarked or if the look / logo Jeep (as seen on the sign at the dealership) is trademarked.

If I draw a picture of a sweet looking Jeep, then write the words "BEST JEEP EVER" over the drawing, and I do it in a hand brushed font style... am I infringing?

Thanks.

quincy

I am trying to understand if the word "jeep" is trademarked or if the look / logo Jeep (as seen on the sign at the dealership) is trademarked.

If I draw a picture of a sweet looking Jeep, then write the words "BEST JEEP EVER" over the drawing, and I do it in a hand brushed font style... am I infringing?

Thanks.
The lower case "jeep" is not a trademark. The upper case "Jeep" is a trademark. "BEST JEEP EVER" can confuse consumers as to whether you are talking about the generic lower case jeep or the upper case trademark. Trademark law centers on consumer confusion so, if a consumer is likely to be confused by the origin of your product through your use, that use must be avoided.

What a trademark is, is a company's product or service identifier. When you use a company's trademark, you are implying a connection to, or a sponsorship by, or an endorsement by, the trademark holder. You are, essentially, trying to use the famous trademark to sell your own products. Without the company's express permission, this is a legal no-no.

You can draw or photograph a generic lower case jeep, or you can draw or photograph your own upper case Jeep avoiding any part of the Jeep that is a trademarked identifier (the grill, the logo, the Jeep name). When using your own Jeep in a drawing or photograph or using words on your tee-shirt, you cannot imply that the company supports your product.

To do so would be infringement and unfair trade practices and could get you sued by a company that protects it's brand name with some vigor.

Last edited:

quincy

Are you talking about one T-shirt for your own use or is this for commercial purposes?
He asked in his first post about selling it, which makes it commercial.

edit to add: I just noticed that this thread is from 2012 and was retrieved from the archives. To c_wagoner: New questions from new posters require the creating of new threads instead of the revival of old ones. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">