• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repayment of cash loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kbynum

I live in Toledo, Ohio. My husband owns a small business and an employee asked for a cash advance on his pay. We opted to give him $100 cash from our personal account, and he agreed verbally to pay us back in cash the next week. Bad idea--the employee quit. I have called the employee and talked to him on 4 or more occasions over the past month to discuss repayment of the money. Each time he says he'll have it tomorrow, or Friday, or so forth. And I know he's avoiding our calls via caller id. When I talked to him this evening he threatened to send his girlfriend out to "kick your a@$" if I showed up to try to collect the money. He also said "Well, I already paid it back. You don't have any proof, so I already paid you back. There's nothing you can do."

We only have a bank statement that shows the $100 withdraw at the ATM, and were too stupid/trusting to have him sign something along the lines of an IOU. If we decided to take him to small claims court, would we even have enough to make a case?? I've considered talking to my accountant to see if we can file an amended quarterly payroll tax return and not pay the full tax due (-$100) from his pay, and thus recover the money that way. But I don't know if that's legal either!!

Once bitten, twice shy. We won't be loaning out any more money to employees!! A hundred bucks doesn't sound like much, but we've only been in business a year and are really just getting on our feet.

Thanks!

Kim

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

1. It's not worth the time and effort.

2. You'd lose in court without proof.

If there is a next time, get signed "Promissory Notes" - - not an I.O.U.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">