• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time for Judges answer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lighthouse

I am from Iowa. I had my Small Claims hearing 80 days ago.
The Judge did not issue his answer then. He said he would send it to me in writing. How long does the Judge leagally have? I could really use the money that I went to court about!!!! Is there anything I can do to speed up the process without making the Judge mad so that he rules against me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lighthouse said:
I am from Iowa. I had my Small Claims hearing 80 days ago.
The Judge did not issue his answer then. He said he would send it to me in writing. How long does the Judge leagally have? I could really use the money that I went to court about!!!! Is there anything I can do to speed up the process without making the Judge mad so that he rules against me?
My response:

It is quite possible that the Ruling was lost in the mail.

Try calling the court clerk to find out if a decision has been made.

IAAL

L

Lighthouse

This is a small town court. I have been told that if I ask too many questions, that this could get back to the judge and make him very unhappy with me--which I can't afford.
Do you know what the legal amount of time that the judge has for a ruling in Iowa Small Claims court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, I looked through the Iowa Small Claims Court site and found nothing in this regard.

Unless you call the clerk, and ask the question, then this will remain a mystery to the both of us.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

L

Lighthouse

Small claims rules

Well I contacted the clerk. All I got was a song and dance about how overworked the judges were and how the children cases come first. I did not get an actual legal amount of time that the judge had to give a ruling on my case. It took him 4 1/2 months!!!!!

Needless to say I am not happy with his ruling. He basically did not even address one part of my claim worth $500.
1. Doesn't he have to address each part of the claim one way or the other?

I feel that another part that was not ruled in my favor was due to his total misunderstanding of the facts worth $400. I was the plaintiff in Iowa Small Claims.
2. Can I appeal? What is the procedure? What do I stand to loose if I loose appeal? Like could I have to pay the Defendants legal fees in an appeal,etc?

Even though I did not get the amount of money that I felt I
I should have, the judgement did rule in my favor saying that the Defendant was negligent and had to pay some of my claim.
3. Therefore, shouldn't I have also got my court costs and maybe legal fees in my ruling?

Do I have any legal recourse against the judge? First of all about his unreasonal length of time to give judgement. Also because he didn't seem to have a grasp of things--in one document (when the Defendent asked for a delay in the case), the judge referred to me as the defendant and I am the plaintiff (recording that I asked for the delay and I wanted anything but the delay), and in other things that I mentioned above.

Please help soon--I know enough that if I can appeal that I have a limited time to do it.

Thanks for your time

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">