• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

big mouth cop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qtpienfw

I live in Texas and several months ago the police came, busted down my door and searched my house. They were looking for a drug lab they thought a guy who stayed here sometimes was running from my home. There was never anything like that at my home. I wasn't home at the time of the search because I had been arrested after leaving the house a few minutes earlier. They police didn't find anything in my home except some paraphnalia this guy had in my house. A few days later someone I know slightly called a friend of mine to say she had heard all about the drug lab that had been found at my house and all the drugs the police had found (both not true). She also said she heard I was pregnant (not true). She had heard this and alot more from a cop who had been at my house that day. Apparently he was going sll over giving this false information to anyone who would listen. Is that OK, for a cop to go around talking about this to everyone? Needless to say what he's been saying has really affected the way some people who know me feel about me. Noone wants to listen to me or believe me when the information comes from a cop. Nobody is interested in what really happened. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

JETX

Basically, your only recourse is to file a complaint with the officers department. They can investigate and take appropriate interdepartmental action against the officer.

Addtionally, it is illegal in Texas for an officer to reveal 'non-public' information about any police activity. You have the additional option of trying to sue someone, but due to the cost and hassle, this is very seldom a viable option... especially since your 'actual damages' are virtually nil.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">