• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright for artwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmad

michigan: I am an artist and have been commissioned to create a drawing of a landmark in our city. I just get paid for the original. I know though, my customer wants to reproduce it for commercial use. I don't want him to reproduce without my consent and fair royalties. What can I do? (The artwork is still in my hands). Thanks for your service!

mmad Chris

L

loku

Not work made for hire

Even though the copyright to a “work made for hire” belongs to the employer or other person for whom the work was prepared, if you are an independent contractor, and not an employee of the city, then it is not a “work made for hire” under the copyright act, and as the creator of the drawing, you automatically own the copyright. That means that they can not legally reproduce it for commercial purposes without your approval, for which you can charge a royalty.

M

mmad

Fair Royalties?

loku,
Thanks for replying to my question. Now I wonder how much I charge as royalties? Is there some kind of guideline?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">