• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Drkshados

I'm in wa. state. My son was riding his new bike he is 10 and a neighbor's 7 yr old ran into his bike wheel and damaged it. I spoke with the parent and he said since it was a accident he/they have no responsibility to fix it.Is this correct? If not could you give me a link to where I can print p the law area about it .Thank You

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

A 7 year old cannot appreciate his actions, or actions that are negligent. In fact, a court would never find that a 7 year old is negligent. For purposes of negligence liability, minors are not held to the same standard of conduct as adults. Rather, they are required to exercise only that degree of care ordinarily exercised by minors of like maturity, intelligence and capacity under similar circumstances.

Except in special circumstances, of which yours is not one, parents are not responsible for the negligent acts of their minor children. Parents are only responsible for the malicious acts of their children and, under the law, a 7 year old is incapable of forming malicious intent.

Fix the wheel.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">