• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kansas, Copyright on Public forums

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joyce824

Are the messages posted in public forums that do not bear a copyright signature protected by copyright.

If I wanted to write a book and use the actual posts from a public chat forum, can I do that?

Thanks

I wish to write a book on internet abuse and harassment and use actual posts by those harassing another person to show how it's perpetuated and what you can/cannot do about it

ALawyer

When you say it is not copyright, are you sure? For example, the postings on this website ARE copyrighted and all questions and all answers belong to the site's operator. There is no need to put the Copyright notice on each and every posting -- it is bulit into the terms and conditions of use, the "agreement" you agreed to when registering to post, etc.

Now there is still fair use, and I won;t suggest what the limits may be to using one as an example.

J

joyce824

I was asking you for a definition

Are message boards in public domain? Unless they specify somewhere they are not?

JoyceB

L

lawrat

this is still a gray area of law. technically, they are in the public forum but under the site's control because the site operator/moderator can choose to edit/take out/etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">