• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overcharged by plumber

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KSayers

state: florida

I had a plumbing repair done, and when the man was finished he presented me with a 215.00 bill. I questioned the high amount of the bill (as I had other similar repairs done that were not near this much). This was indeed the charge.

After calling around and getting three other quotes, I was indeed over charged. The going rate for plumbers in my area is 60.00 an hour.

The man was here for 40 minutes, and he used about $10.00 in parts.

I was told by him that he charges a flat rate (no one else in this county that I talked to charges a flat rate).

He refuses to give me any of my money back and says that I signed the bill, which states:

"Signature below consitutes acceptance of above service performed as being satisfactory - and that equipment has been left in good condition"

yes, i agree it was repaired satisfactory. However, I was extreemly overcharged.

I did not relize how badly i was overcharged until I started calling around to other plumbers in my area. I can obtain other written estimates at around $70-85.00.

Do I have a case to take him to small claims court?

He also ask that on my check I make it out in his name and not put the word "plumbing" at the end of his name.

thank you,

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

A plumber, like any business person, is not prohibited by any law, from charging "whatever the traffic will bear". Two stores might have the same dress for sale, but you buy the dress from the higher priced store. Does that mean you've been cheated, or that the store owes you a refund ? The answer, of course, is no.

Likewise, you as the consumer, can hire whomever you choose, and at a price you're comfortable with paying.

But, the time to receive quotes was BEFORE you had any work performed - - not after.

So, because you didn't "shop around" first, that's not the fault of your plumber. He charges what he charges, and others charge what they charge. A judge will not entertain your claim.

Your duty to yourself was to get estimates, first.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 05-17-2001 at 12:31 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">