• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Encased firearm in vehicle in a school dropoff/pickup area

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caveman1978

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL, my question is as I have referenced through several statutes and exceptions,prohibitions,ccw forums and such, I have yet to get a straight answer. What I have gathered is that in one sense it says it is illegal, yet in a vehicle it becomes a private conveyance. I have a daughter in a early education center and currently park off property when I pick her up and drop off. Local code is adopted of the gfsza, which says it is illegal to possess.. I contacted the superintendant of the school board here and he said that if the firearm was broken down( barrel removed) then he believed it would not fall under the same restrictions. The chief security officer for the district came back with a firearm is described as being readily converted to expel a projectile. IF the firearm was broke down(barrel removed) and encased it would not be readily converted. Keep in mind this is in Bay County,FL where the "vendetta" shooter fired at the school board members in the district office not too long ago. The guy that shot the shooter is the chief security officer I am referencing. My issue is the supreme court ruled the right to bear arms in a vehicle. My logic trying to figure this out- I can't possess a firearm in a case in my vehicle picking my children up but I can sit beside a school bus at a red light within feet of 25+ kids with my firearm fully loaded(I have my CCW) and concealed. I do not understand that any whatsoever. Please someone give me some clarification. I would like to pick my children up just like every other normal parent.

OHRoadwarrior

And you can't just....leave your gun at home?
Not if you are legally carrying and pickup/dropoff your child during the day. OH CCL holders are permitted to carry in their vehicle during pickup and dropoff. FL regs clearly allow licensed carriers to possess them also.

90.115 florida statutes outlines the parameters for which possession of a weapon on school grounds is permissible. It refers to;
3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

790.25(5) outlines its permissability under the following;
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

Last edited:

ecmst12

That doesn't mean he couldn't leave the gun at home anyway, just for the sake of not making himself or anyone else nervous.

swalsh411

Unless the school has adopted "written" and "published" policy which forbids it, you can legally carry a loaded gun in your carry in the parking lot. You just can't leave your car with the gun. If you have to get out of your car you would need to leave the gun in the car. (but it can still be loaded). Hopefully you have a locking glove box.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

And you can't just....leave your gun at home?
I don't think you understand the purpose of carrying a gun. It doesn't go you any good at home.

That doesn't mean he couldn't leave the gun at home anyway, just for the sake of not making himself or anyone else nervous.
My safety and that of my family is more important than how others "feel". Besides, they wouldn't know.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't care how many friends you brought to kick my butt. I only need 2. Smith and Wesson. :)

Unless the school has adopted "written" and "published" policy which forbids it, you can legally carry a loaded gun in your carry in the parking lot. You just can't leave your car with the gun. If you have to get out of your car you would need to leave the gun in the car. (but it can still be loaded). Hopefully you have a locking glove box.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

I don't think you understand the purpose of carrying a gun. It doesn't go you any good at home.

My safety and that of my family is more important than how others "feel". Besides, they wouldn't know.

ecmst12

I fail to see how a disassembled gun in a locked case in the car would protect anyone in any kind of practical fashion. And no, that's not me saying it should be kept loaded in an unlocked glove box, either. But it's not going to make a difference, protection-wise, between the locked case, and just at home, you or people around you would be dead before you could get to it either way.

If the gun/case are not visible, then yeah, no one will know it's there and it's unlikely to cause a problem. I think that right now it's a bad time to be driving a visible gun to a school. I think it's a bad time, social-atmosphere-wise, to be pushing that particular envelope. But that's just me.

OHRoadwarrior

I fail to see how a disassembled gun in a locked case in the car would protect anyone in any kind of practical fashion. And no, that's not me saying it should be kept loaded in an unlocked glove box, either. But it's not going to make a difference, protection-wise, between the locked case, and just at home, you or people around you would be dead before you could get to it either way.

If the gun/case are not visible, then yeah, no one will know it's there and it's unlikely to cause a problem. I think that right now it's a bad time to be driving a visible gun to a school. I think it's a bad time, social-atmosphere-wise, to be pushing that particular envelope. But that's just me.
Securely encased could be a glove box or locked center console. Presumably the CC licensee won't be needing the firearm on school property. It would be a transition from carry to store to carry again, after the child is picked up.

swalsh411

This talk of broken down or in a locked case is irrelevant. The OP has a permit. He can have it loaded on his person in the parking lot. The gun just cannot leave the confines of his vehicle.

swalsh411

You haven't spent much time in FL have you? People there know concealed carry is lawful and not a big deal. Florida was one of the first States to go from "may issue" to "shall issue" and the predictions of blood in the streets and shootings over parking spots and fender benders never came to pass. If you "crap your pants" because you notice somebody, otherwise acting normally, may be carrying a gun you have a personal problem not a legal one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">