• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Told mother-in-law she had to leave, and now is threatening to sue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kroszelle

Atlanta, Georgia

A few months ago, my mother-in-law was kicked out of the place she was staying, and had no where to go. We told her that she could stay with us - rent free - so that she could save up her money in order to find a new place. (She did give us money ocassionaly to use towards groceries or whatever. However, that amount was very little and I would estimate around $10 a week.)

Of course, a few weeks turned into a few months. Finally, in April she said that she would be out by May 6. When that date came, she was still here and had no prospects or intentions of moving out. We told her she had until June 1.

She got irate demanding that we give her money to find a place, threatend to call the police if we tried to make her move, etc. She continued this behavior for about a week. During this time, she wrote us attacking letters, started fights with my husband, and yelling to a point that was completely out of control. We have a 5 year old son that we do not want witnessing this. I can in no way describe how out of control she was during this time.

Anyway, we told her we could not go on like this and said that she had to leave immediately (that night). She called the police and they came out. They basically said they could try and talk her into leaving, but that was it because she was a "tenant" in our home. Which isn't true, she never paid rent to us and we are renting this home ourselves and do not own it. My husband even gave her $200 to use toward a new place - which would more than refund any little amounts of money she gave us during this time.
She left 2 weeks ago, leaving all of her things behind.So we boxed up all of her belongings and moved them to the garage. She says we had no right to do that.

Since then she calls our house and my husbands work atleast twice a day. She shows up at our house unannounced saying she is going to sue us and we have no right to kick her out. The last time she was here, we told her to leave, and she went to a pay phone, called the police and said that she drove by our house and saw a man beating up a woman. 3 cop cars showed up at our house.

She is so out of control - and this is just a small sample of her behavior on a daily basis. I feel that because we did make her leave, that in retaliation, she will try and sue us in a Civil Court.

My question is this - can she really sue us? And if so, for what?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">