• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Timeshares

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tracineb

My husband and I went into a timeshare in PA with another couple. The other couple have had major financial difficulties for the past 3 years and I have taken on the burden of paying the monthly fees. Both couples names appear on the agreement/mortgage. But they are the so-called primary. How can we dissolve this partnership. I have records of all my payments as does the company (Resorts USA). Our credit has been affected by the late payments. Resorts has worked with me and they are sympathetic towards my situation, but ultimately they want to be paid. They have tried numerous times to contact the other party and have documented all conversations. I want out of this contract. How should I proceed? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

Your post said, "I want out of this contract". Do you actually have a contract between yourself and the other couple?? Or, do you have a Partnership Agreement with them?? If either, what if anything does it say about dissolving this joint purchase?

Absent any documentated dissolution procedures, it sounds like you will basically have to purchase their percentage of ownership from them. Have you talked with the 'co-owners' (if that is what they are) about your desire to purchase their rights?? What do they say?? If they are agreeable to your purchasing their right of ownership, then you really should have an attorney handle this matter.

T

Tracineb

Timeshare

Thank you for your advice Halket. We have tried to relay this suggestion to our former friends but unfortunatley they are trying to hold on to something that has become a burden and an expense that they can no longer afford. Resorts has suggested the same solution. If they won't turn over rights, what is our alternative option. Our credit rating is suffering and something has to be done. I've reviewed all the forms and I find nothing regarding a Partnership Agreement within the contract and we did not have one with them. We know of someone who had timeshare and hired a lawyer. Because timeshare is a group deal and many people use the same facility they were able to get out. Unfortunately, they are friends of friends. But they did suggest we speak to an attorney.

JETX

With the complexity of the issues involved, I also suggest that you consult an attorney.

He can discuss the abilities to litigate to remove the other parties, or to sever your obligations, or to litigate to recover your damages in having to pay for their obligation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">