• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Transport of a Minor across statelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tharvey

My 18 yr old son, a junior in highschool is dating a 16 yr old. At the suggestion of his girlfriend, they crossed over to KY to "Cruise". (KY stateline is 1 mile just over the bridge from house.) Her foster parents found out and intends on having my son arrested for this. He had her back home within her curfew limits that were set. What are the Federal or State laws for this? Are there guidelines?

[Edited by tharvey on 05-23-2001 at 12:49 PM]

D

daniel123456

interstate travel

the answer in my opinion would be,if one were to apply the rules of law,to its totall face value,then the answer would be yes,under the charles lindburg law,it becomes a federal crime to transport a minor acroos state lines,when the person,or persons doing so are not the parents,of course there are some rules that will have to be applied,first question,do you know the age of majority in your homestate?that is the age that a child is legally seperated from the care of an adult,some states the age is 18,while others are thru 21.the purpose of the law was to prevent a person from kidnapping a child,and fleeing,because the penalty is almost as bad as a death penalty,with a punishment of life in prison.of course the motives would be an issue,as well as if the parents had told them directly not to go.or if was a harmless get away,the judge would as in my opinion look at the factor of how close the state lines are from their location,and what other amusement places that might be in the state,just as close.but either way i am sure that the judge will not condone the actions of the youths.that will have to be in the discretion of who the judge is,and all of the relevant facts presented by both sides.i am not an attorney,please advise one in your home state.good-luck,friends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">