• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - LEVY paid - waiting for TURN OVER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

ZaZoO

NJ - Last year my bank account was levied by a creditor two times. The account was then paid in full. Just recently, I received a letter stating that I must fill out ANOTHER information subpeona (it was from the creditor who already got the levy). I spoke with the court officer who was handling my case and he said to ignore the information subpeona, that the balance they were requesting from me was in the courts hands and that the creditor (or creditor's lawyer) never filed a turn over notice. I contacted the creditor and they said that the court has to send them a notice of my debt being paid (on my end) and that the court has the money. In sum, the creditor is taking me to court next week because I refuse to give them the remaining balance, because it has ALREADY been levied from my account. Should I just go to court and explain this to the judge? My account has been satisfied according to my bank account and the court officer.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

JETX

Yes. Make your appearance and take your documentation to show that the judgment has been paid. Then, when you have shown the court of the full payment, ask them to instruct the creditor to file a "Satisfaction of Judgment" form with the court and a copy for your files. Also, make sure that the creditor has released any and all liens or levy's and has noted your payment with any CRA's (Credit Reporting Agencies) if they had reported your debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">