• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COPYRIGHT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Julian2

Two simple questions:

1. If company A licenses company B the right to use software created by company A for the purposes company B to sell their product, has there been a publishing of the software?

Assume the license agreement is boilerplate with nondisclosure agreements and confidentiality obligations.

2. Does programing in a particular language make a software with distinct functions a derivative of that programming language?

L

lawrat

1. a license is merely permission to use the product the way the license agreement mandates/allows. Publishing occurs when copies are made: download to the computer hard drive; upload to the internet; copy CD/DISK to clients/customers.

2. yes but that derivative has two components : the already copyrighted and possibly patented material and that part which is new. You must get permission from original patent/copyright holder to distribute and must account to them for their portion. Trust me == otherwise you would have a big suit on your hands.

J

Julian2

Published material: The definition of published is the distribution of a work to the public
i. “of a work” = copies or phonorecords
ii. "to the public" = as distribution to persons under no explicit or implicit restrictions with respect to disclosure of the contents.

1. by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rent, lease, or lending; or

2. if there has been an offering to distribute to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public performance, or public display.

This definition means that a license agreement is not publishing per se, because "to the public" is "the general public." Is this a good legal interpretation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">