• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parked 6' from sumone's driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AznThuggy

I went to school and parked in front of a person's house. Because our school does not have a parking lot, everyone parks in front of someone's house, so it is not a big deal. It's a known fact that every house can park at least two car. Well, when I got back to my car I saw a ticket on my window. It said I had parked 6 inches from the driveway. Now when I look at the ticket, my fine is $35 dollars, is is not that much; however, what I need to know is will this parking ticket raise my insurance rates? Also can I merely go pay the fine and leave or do I have to actually go into court and be summoned in front of the judge? I am 17 years old now, do I have to go with a parent? If you could please reply as soon as possible I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!

--Peter Koon

ALawyer

Good news. Parking tickets do NOT raise your insuarnce rates, only moving violations do.

Usually you can pay the ticket with a money order and just mail it in. $35 hurts but the old advice was always "Pay the $2". In some courts you can plead "Guilty with an explanation" and the judge may reduce the fine if your story is not bogus.

One thing. Beleive it or not you may someday be asked to disclose if you were ever given a ticket. (I was when I applied for the Bar many years ago.) You'd be able to say "yes, for parking and I paid the fine". So keep a photocopy of the ticket for your records. May that be the worst that ever happens to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">