• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does a lemon law protect dealerships?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hitwoman

I live in Washington State. I traded in my car 2 weeks ago on a newer car.

Not even a year ago, we paid 2500.00 to replace the transmission in the trade in, and therefore the transmission is under warranty to us only.

Well, the dealership I delt with called me today to say that the transmission is going bad in the trade-in. They are asking if my husband will take it to the repair shop to get it fixed, even though it's not our car anymore, since it is under warranty in his name.

I commute in the car, and 3 or so months ago told my husband that occasionally the transmission would act sticky, so he took it in to the place that fixed it, and they said that it was caused by a dent in the transmisson pan. However, we did not get the dent hammered out because they said it was not a big deal.

So...my questions are:

Is it even legal for us to pretend that we are the owners to try to get it fixed?

If the transmission shop won't fix it, can the dealership make us buy it back from them?

And can they say that we knew about it because we took it to get looked at just months before?

(Sorry so long-winded!)
Thanks.

TCB4U2B2B

In My Opinion:

hitwoman

Once the dealership takes title to your trade-in, your cleared of all responsibility for that vehicle, to the best of my understanding of the law in every state. Your state may have a different rule.

The dealership took the vehicle on an "As Is" bases and has to make the needed repairs or resell it to a wholesaler.

Check with your states attorney's office for accurate advice.

The "Lemon Law" protects the buyer of a NEW vehicle only. It is designed to protect buyers from things like faulty parts, faulty systems and some system designs, etc.

Used vehicles may or may not be sold with a dealerships warranty. That should be stated clearing on the posted price sheet on the vehicle.

Seperately sold extended warranties can be purchased at the time of the sale on used vehicles. This often is suggested by the dealership if the orginal warranty is not extended, transferable or offered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">