• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seat belt laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

p.burns

helo...i have a question regarding seatbelt laws...i am from ky...my question is in regard to any information on precedent setting cases involving a ticket thrown out due to constitutional costraints such as violation of search and seizure, or any other edict which could be viewed as a restraint on personal freedom...i have no problem wearing a seatbelt personally, but i think it is a government run amok that tells me i have to, or face a penalty...i have not been ticketed for such a violation i was just maddened by the recent push by local and stae police to do road blocks and check points to enforce this law...any information would be appreciated ...thank you

X

Xjudge

Seat belt laws fall under the catagory of public responsibility. Before seat belt laws, the death and serious injury rate in this country was around 50 per 1000 people. It is now around 20 per 1000 and almost all of it can be attributed to seat belt laws. Beside saving you money on your insurance rates, it save government agencies millions of dollars a year. That is money you don't have pay in taxes. Massachusetts just repealed there state seat belt law for the reason you stated and have seen a signifigant rise in there death and injury rate in auto accidents. Although you may consider your state police actions as a hassle, the life saved because of their actions may be someone you care about.

P

p.burns

Originally posted by Xjudge
Seat belt laws fall under the catagory of public responsibility. Before seat belt laws, the death and serious injury rate in this country was around 50 per 1000 people. It is now around 20 per 1000 and almost all of it can be attributed to seat belt laws. Beside saving you money on your insurance rates, it save government agencies millions of dollars a year. That is money you don't have pay in taxes. Massachusetts just repealed there state seat belt law for the reason you stated and have seen a signifigant rise in there death and injury rate in auto accidents. Although you may consider your state police actions as a hassle, the life saved because of their actions may be someone you care about.
I hope I am doing this right . Please forgive my ignorance as this is the first time i've responded to an answer. Now on to the gist of our debate. I understand as a father of two young children , the importance of protecting them at home as well as in the car. My problem again is not the seatbelts themselves, its the intrusion into our personal daily lives by a government that is already too intrusive. I understand the argument made by you and others who feel the same way as you do about this and probably other issues. I am trying not to be presumptuous or trying to sterotype anyone, please let me make that clear. I believe in everyone's right to their opinion. Having said that the argument goes beyond personal safety, death rates ,or insurance costs. As I see the government erode our personal freedoms with words like public safety , common good , and other words and phrases that are designed to make us feel good about giving up that freedom, it makes me wonder how many more generations will enjoy the modicom of freedom that we enjoy today. That is the only argument I personally have with that or any other law that basically says the governments job is to take care of us because we aren't deemed smart enough to do it ourselves. I am sorry for the lengthy diatribe but this is a subject i feel very strongly about. Respectfully, p.burns

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">