• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was their search legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nita_renee

I am from the state of Arkansas and I have a question about an incident that happened to me two months ago. I had taken my two children to the park and to Wal-mart to get some things for dinner, so I arrived back to my townhouse at 7pm. I sent my eight year old upstairs to watch T.V. in my room while I finished cooking. I had just given my one year old a cookie and the phone rang. While I was sitting on the end of the couch talking to my mother, watching the baby, someone began to kick my door down. I was terrified, I thought I was being robbed or something. After my door was kicked in, five police officers rushed in my house yelling, "Where is he?". I had no idea who they meant. Two officers ran upstairs, where my son was, with there guns drawn. I was scared my son would start down the stairs and they would shoot. Two officers went into my kitchen looking in closets, and one officer stayed asking me where he was. My mother was on the phone, it terrified her also. They finially figured out they had gotten the wrong apartment, apologized, and left their badge numbers. The man they were after was at the apartment of his ex-wife next door. He had a warrant out for his arrest, but it was nothing major. The police waited for over an hour for a search warrant to enter the other apartment. The local news channel and everyone in the neighborhood was watching. Was this fair? I felt like I was invaded for no wrongdoing whatsoever. Two weeks later the Cheif of police came to my house with cash (not sure of amount) and a letter he wanted me to sign, saying I had been paid for damages. I did not sign anything. I still have to explain to my son that this is not normal behavior for the police unless you do something against the law. My one year old cried everytime someone knocked on the door a little too hard. I have never had any trouble with obeying the law. Could anyone tell me if this was legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">