• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tape trading +

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdr7181

Texas -- Tape Trading

I have some legal questions regarding a rather common practice today: trading tapes of recorded shows. This practice is particularly common among viewers of daytime dramas.

Is it illegal to record a show and offer to trade with someone who has recorded a show you missed?

And a step further, if a person isn't interested in trading but selling/buying a tape, what legalities come into play? Is it legal, for example, to charge the purchaser for the blank tape you use to copy the requested show to? Can you charge for wear and tear on your VCR? Can you charge for labor and the time spent making the recording?

Also, if I host a web site for fans of various shows to post requests to buy, sale, or trade tapes, what responsibility do I have to ensure no laws are broken? Can I be held liable for any "copyright infringement" that occurs as an indirect result of my web site?

Thanks in advance.

L

lawrat

Yes you most certainly can get in trouble for making it a business without getting permission or license from the copyright holders of the shows. Having someone reimburse you solely for the tape is fine (like sis please record and i'll pay you later b/c i don't have time) but not charging for the services (hours, etc)

Ever heard of a movie rental store? film companies sell rental rights --- big $$$ industry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">