• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FLORIDA- is plane ticket private property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brnwizdom

Florida- My ex-girlfriend and I planned on taking a trip t Italy and she purchased both our tickets with her own money. Before the trip we broke up and I told her she can do whatever she wants with my ticket. She made no effort to call the airline company and is now sueing me saying that it was my fault she could not go on the trip and that I owe her the money for my ticket because there was nothing she could do with it. She had possession of both tickets. Is my ticket, whether paid by me or not (but has my name and information on it), my private property? Also, dos she have a case and what can i do to win?

JETX

The ticket is NOT the issue, it is the 'promise' of the ticket. At any time, did you agree to purchase or reimburse, or compensate for the value of the ticket?? This could be a statement, promise, or any other evidence to support that the ticket was purchased for you or at your request or acceptance ("Gee, honey, lets get two tickets to Rome. I would love to see you in the Piazza!!").

As to the your other question ("Also, dos she have a case and what can i do to win?"), that would require a complete legal education. The decision by any court SHOULD (?) be determined solely on the evidence presented. If you have sufficient evidence to show that you are NOT responsible for the value of the ticket(s) AND that she did nothing to mitigate her claim of damages (attempt to return or resell the tickets), you MIGHT win. If she can show that the ticket value was your obligation and that she did try to mitigate the damages, then she MIGHT win.

As the learned Law professor said, "It is not a justice system, it is a legal system. After all, there is no justice in it."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">