• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second (2nd) Amendment, Michigan, & Knife Laws Regarding Carry for Self-Defense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GideonDelta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: Michigan

Hello,

I recently purchased a machete (kukri) with the intent to use it to clear brush (yardwork, basically). It is legal to own in Michigan, I know. However, several people have mentioned the kukri can also be used for self-defense. I started doing some searches for the legality of carrying a knife (as I believe it's classified) for self-defense and I was surprised to see several mentions�one from someone claiming to be a police officer in Michigan�that you can be arrested for carrying a blade for self-defense and that if questioned by police that I should say it's for "work."

As a Constitutionalist, I find this troubling and confusing. There are no laws that I can find that forbid the possession and ownership of a machete. The only laws regarding possession of a blade of this type note that the only restrictions are carrying of a blade for "unlawful purposes." Doesn't the Second Amendment guarantee the right to bear arms? And hasn't the Supreme Court repeatedly upheld the right of people to possess bladed weapons for self-defense?

Looking at the US Constitution and Michigan laws, I don't see how detaining me solely for possessing a blade with the explicit purpose of self-defense is legal. Yet, there are repeated comments about people claiming it's unlawful and you can be put in cuffs for being honest and saying you're carrying the blade for self-defense...

My question is... is there any legal grounds to do this? Can I really be detained for carrying a blade for self-defense? How can owning a firearm for self-defense be okay but not a blade? That doesn't make sense.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?: Michigan

Hello,

I recently purchased a machete (kukri) with the intent to use it to clear brush (yardwork, basically). It is legal to own in Michigan, I know. However, several people have mentioned the kukri can also be used for self-defense. I started doing some searches for the legality of carrying a knife (as I believe it's classified) for self-defense and I was surprised to see several mentions�one from someone claiming to be a police officer in Michigan�that you can be arrested for carrying a blade for self-defense and that if questioned by police that I should say it's for "work."

As a Constitutionalist, I find this troubling and confusing. There are no laws that I can find that forbid the possession and ownership of a machete. The only laws regarding possession of a blade of this type note that the only restrictions are carrying of a blade for "unlawful purposes." Doesn't the Second Amendment guarantee the right to bear arms? And hasn't the Supreme Court repeatedly upheld the right of people to possess bladed weapons for self-defense?

Looking at the US Constitution and Michigan laws, I don't see how detaining me solely for possessing a blade with the explicit purpose of self-defense is legal. Yet, there are repeated comments about people claiming it's unlawful and you can be put in cuffs for being honest and saying you're carrying the blade for self-defense...

My question is... is there any legal grounds to do this? Can I really be detained for carrying a blade for self-defense? How can owning a firearm for self-defense be okay but not a blade? That doesn't make sense.
Michigan laws on weapons can be accessed through the following link: http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10953--,00.html

Scroll down for information on knives under "Other Weapons."

CdwJava

Are you really going to be carrying a machete around town??? I suspect you will be subject to a LOT of police attention! Even if not illegal on its face, people just don't go around carrying large blades on their person and that will cause calls to the cops. And many businesses may prevent you entry if you try to walk in with a machete in hand.

Keep in mind that cities can pass municipal codes against carrying dangerous weapons about in public.

quincy

Are you really going to be carrying a machete around town??? I suspect you will be subject to a LOT of police attention! Even if not illegal on its face, people just don't go around carrying large blades on their person and that will cause calls to the cops. And many businesses may prevent you entry if you try to walk in with a machete in hand.

Keep in mind that cities can pass municipal codes against carrying dangerous weapons about in public.
I don't think GideonDelta will LEGALLY be carrying a machete around any Michigan town any time soon.

There was a House Bill introduced last year, similar to many other bills that have been introduced over the years in Michigan, that would change the current weapons-carry law - and it overwhelmingly passed the House and is sitting, I believe, in the Senate Judiciary Committee. But, even if the Senate acts on it - which I suspect they won't, but I have been surprised by weapons laws before (e.g., allowing guns on college campuses) - Gideon would still not be allowed to carry his weapon of choice.

After the machete attacks in Chicago, I would hope NO state thinks it smart to let people wander around wherever they want with a machete.

single317dad

After the machete attacks in Chicago, I would hope NO state thinks it smart to let people wander around wherever they want with a machete.
Barring a county or local ordinance, I'm pretty sure we neighbors to your south have that right. As far as I know, throwing stars (and throwing knives with multiple faces) and ballistic knives are banned, as well as any "weapon" on school property (highly ambiguous and not closely followed), but there are currently no other restrictions on carried knives. While carrying a machete or sword through town would certainly draw unfriendly attention, unless the town has an ordinance the bearer would be within his rights, so long as he was not committing any other crime (intimidation/menacing, robbery, etc.)

The moral of the story is, the road to Mordor passes through the Crossroads of America.

CdwJava

We have no such ordinance, either. But, such a person would have to tolerate NUMEROUS law enforcement contacts, and would probably be denied service at any number of businesses if he wanted to enter them.

He might lawfully be able to carry it (unconcealed), but, that doesn't mean there won't be social and practical consequences for being a twit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">