• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! Contempt case pending

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jblush

i live in maine and my husband and i were sued last year by our former landlord. we were ordered to pay him just over eight hundred dollars for back rent and water and sewer bills. a few months ago, my husband went in for a disclosure hearing because we had been unable to pay. you see, my husband has been out of work since christmas with a shoulder injury and has been unable to find work since having it repaired. he receives worker's comp but it's barely enough to feed us each week. my checks go toward current rent, utilities and car payments. the judge reduced the amount we had to pay each month, but it's still been nearly impossible for us to get any money together. at this time, we have not paid our former landlord any more money since the disclosure hearing. in six days we go to court on a contempt charge. what might happen to us? will we be fined or will be end up thrown in jail? we want to pay this, but my husband needs to find work before we can afford it. if we are fined, will we have to pay it right then or will it be added to what we owe?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">