• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dropping contempt of court charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jblush

i live in maine. my former landlord is taking me and my husband to court for contempt of a court order because we have been unable to pay him the amount awarded him in small claims court. we have been through a disclosure hearing and are now facing contempt charges. my question is, can my former landlord drop these charges or are they now in the hands of the district attorney? if we pay our former landlord, is it within his power to have the charges dropped?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jblush said:
i live in maine. my former landlord is taking me and my husband to court for contempt of a court order because we have been unable to pay him the amount awarded him in small claims court. we have been through a disclosure hearing and are now facing contempt charges. my question is, can my former landlord drop these charges or are they now in the hands of the district attorney? if we pay our former landlord, is it within his power to have the charges dropped?
My response:

You can pay the judgment, as well you should.

However, Contempt of Court is a crime. Paying the judgment now will not extinguish or mitigate the fact that you have already committed the crime. Never disregard or ignore the orders of a judge. Well, I guess you've already found that out, and will find out more when you go to court.

Oh, and one last thing - - bring a toothbrush. Matching bracelets are really beautiful !

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">