• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charges of retaliation on a police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tld_98

my fiance and i live in new mexico, close to the texas state line. while traveling through el paso, tx., we were pulled over and we were both arrested on charges of possesion on marijuana under 2 oz.-a misdemeanor. we were placed in small holding "cages" at a substation while the officers did their paperwork and then we were to be transported to the county detention center. while at the substation, my fiance was basically making fun of the officers and being rude to them. i know that he should have just kept his mouth shut, but the officers were very unprofessional and were putting him down and making just as many comments to him, calling him names and cursing at him and such. at one point these two rookies walked into his "cage" or cell and started pushing him around and being very rough with him, and wrestling him down, while he was in handcuffs. he was being rude with them, but he was not a threat to them in any way because he was in handcuffs behind a locked door. that was totally unnecessary for the cops to do. are they allowed to do that? then, after that incident, my fiance told the cops, "your karma is going to come back on you. some day you just might pull over the wrong person and you could walk up to their car and they could just shoot you." it happens. well, when he said that, rookie #1 turns to rookie #2 and says, "did you just hear what i heard?" rookie #2 replies, "yeah, i think he just said the next time we pull over a red geo storm (the color and model of our car)he's going to shoot us." so these two pressed two charges of retaliation on a police officer on him. they made up the story. he DID NOT say that. I heard him with my own ears. when we went to have our bail set, i heard again with my own ears and saw with my eyes these two cops raise their right hand and lie under oath to the judge and say that he said these things. My fiance has a previous record from when he was 16 (he's 22 now). He spent two years locked up because he hit a cop. I'm pretty sure that the judge will believe the cops over my fiance. What's the best thing to do in this situation? Even if he does get in trouble for the retaliation charges, is there anything at all i can do to report such unprofessionalism or officer misconduct? how would i go about doing this and who would i contact? would it just be a waste of my time or would something maybe be done about it?His bail is $5300. I can't bail him out since we live in new mexico and he's in jail in tx., the bondsmen want the full amount. Please reply with advice.

L

lawrat

You are kidding me right? Your fiance, no offense, doesn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer. Let's put it this way: they shouldn't have pushed him around, but what he SAID COULD REASONABLY BE CONSTRUED AS A THREAT. The threat not being immediate does place the officers on some suspcicion.

Do you think there could be something done with this? I don't think so, unless you hire a really good criminal defense attorney. But remember one thing: shouldn't have had the drugs in the first place. Marijuana may not be addictive to some, but it CAN get you into a whole lot of trouble.

http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">