• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incorrect Information on Ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lclassic

I am from Georgia and I was issued a ticket in Flordia for speeding in a construction zone with workers present. One State Trooper was using a laser speed detector and five other troopers where stopping offenders while the laser operator stayed in his postion.
1) I had the registration of a vehicle I no longer own (car) in my glovebox. I was a van at the time. I gave the Car registration to the trooper by mistake and he used it to fill out all the information on the ticket. The information that is on the ticket (year, make, model and vehicle license plate number) are all incorrect and apply to the car I do not own and was not driving at the time. I did not notice the mistake until a few days later.
2) The trooper told me it was a laser that was used but, did not offer to show me the speed. I did not ask at the time.
3) I did not see any workers present on the bridge I was crossing. I guess they could have been working below the bridge surface. How do I know there where workers there or not?
The trooper made a huge mistake by not verifying any of the information on the registration (License plate number, make, model and year of the vehicle). I live about 4 hours from this location and was wondering if it would be to my benefit to try and contest the citation based on these facts? Or, should I just pay the fine.

Thanks.

X

Xjudge

1. Giving an officer false information is a gross misdemeanor. Why would you carry the registration to another vehicle unless you intended to deceive a police officer? I give the officer 50% fault for not catching the mistake.
2. Most states bar officers from showing the radar to customers of the state. The officer scores well in this catagory.
3. Signage is all that is required for an area to be considered a constuction zone. Besides workers, there may be other hazards present.
Going on the facts that you offered the officer the incorrect information used on the citation and that when you sign a citation, you are saying all the information is correct, your odds of winning are definitly not in your favor. In my state, traffic fines are automatically doubled in contruction areas, you would have gotten a double whammy.

L

lclassic

I had placed the registration of the other vehicle in the van because I had just given it to charity and I forgot to remove it. I gave it to him by mistake.

i was not aware that you are ensuring the informatation was correct. I thought you where signing it saying you had received it.

Good point on the construction zone though.

Thanks for the feedback.

sbbrbb

X Judge?

Look at the bottom of your ticket. If it says that you "whereupon signing" attest to the fact that the above information is true and correct the "X" response is correct. Most tickets merely state that you have received the ticket/citation or "promise to appear" with your attendant signature. If you have a resonable explanation for the registration being the incorrect registration the officer should have cited you for improper registration. HIRE A LAWYER. Police are required to present accurate reports to the court and are not allowed to present something "close enough". If you have the money the "X"s ruling would be grounds for appeal.

The Occultist

Seriously? I mean, come on. Look at the dates of these posts. You're answering a thread that's over six years old. I'm fairly certain the OP is no longer checking in for answers.

Oh Carl, you beat me to it!

Ha! But I beat Curt!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">