• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad DJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

ksakata

I'm in Colorado.

We hired an DJ called "DSB Sounds" for our daughter's graduation party.

When we first met Dave of "DSB Sounds", we discussed that we were concerned about the music selection due to the expected mix of crowd that we were expecting at the party. Our goal was to have him play as much hispanic and dance music to get as much guests out to dance. He said that it was not a problem and that he can figure out what the crowd is like and to do the right things to make the party work. He showed us recommendations from other clients and that he has 20 years of experiance. We decided to go with DSB Sounds out of two others that we interviewed.

We later even listed some songs that our daughter felt is a favorite amongst the crowd. My wife also made a list of hispanic songs we felt were good dancing music. We gave this list to Dave's assistant and he assured me that the list was "No Problem".

On the day of the party, Dave and his assistant showed up and started the party. Things were fine through dinner where he was suppose to play Jazz and other low profile music. When the dancing started, we noticed that for a long while, we did not hear any of the songs we listed. I asked him why he was doing this and his reply was "I know what I'm doing. You have to mix it with "OTHER" songs or you lose the crowd". Well, lose the crowd we did. Only after demanding to him to play the songs did he start to play some. Then he went back to his tricks again. As the night progressed, we noticed that many guests that usually get up and dance were not dancing.

At the end of the day, we told him of our disatisfaction and he said "you signed the contract, pay or I'll send you to collection". Regretfully, I paid him($500) fearing more problems with the collection agency.

Is there anything I can do about this other than reporting them to the Better Business Bureau? What are my chances of winning at small claims? What other things should I do or should have done?

JETX

Basically, unless you had a substantial agreement that he would ONLY play specific songs or that he was required to play specific songs and he didn't, it appears that you have little basis for legal pursuit.

It also says that you entered into a contract with him. What, if anything, does the contract say about specific music or dissatisfaction with his services or refunds?? If nothing, then you would have a hard time trying to convince someone that he breached his contract.

Ah, another life lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">