• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for purchases my ex made on a joint credit card.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlpolzin

I recently separated from my common law husband in Colorado. He made purchases totalling nearly $2,500 on my credit card. I did make him an authorized user of the card which he purchased the items with and he has agreed to pay me the amount he owes. I have not seen a dime of this money however, and am considering taking him to small claims court for the amount charged to my credit card and the amount of a refrigerator that I purchased and paid off, but am no longer in possession of. Is this something that has a chance of being settled in court or am I entirely out of luck?

JETX

The answer to your message is contingent on you clearing up some confusion.

Your 'subject line' says that this is a JOINT credit card, yet your text says that this was YOUR "credit card. I did make him an authorized user".

It can't be both ways... either it was a joint account, in which case you are equally responsible for the repayment of the charges. Or it was an individual use card, in which case you MIGHT be able to file a claim for unauthorized use, fraudulent use, etc. But even this issue is confused by your statement that he was your husband (common law is irrelevant).

Please edit your post to clear up these issues and I am sure someone will try to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">