• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have to go to trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zericka

I live in Rhode Island and recieved a ticket for failing to stop for a school bus. I pulled out of an exit into the lane beside the bus and it has only its brake lights on due to there being a red light light 3 cars ahead. Sometime between me driving beside it and going 1 car ahead to the red light it put out its stop sign. The only reason I know the driver put out the sign is because he started beeping and pointing at my car (there was a cop car in the parking lot I exited). I was given no fine just a ticket to go to court. When in court I pleaded guilty with a reason. I didn't even finish the first sentence of my reason when the judge interrupted me and said that I shouldn't be pleading guilty I should be going to trial since this is such a serious offense. I am now going to trial. Am I supposssed to get a lawyer? I am not elegible for a public attorney and can't afford a lawyer. Should I get one anyway? The officer was beyond rude and did everything he could to try to make me talk back to him - I'm not looking forward to having to defend myself against him.

[Edited by zericka on 06-06-2001 at 12:43 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">