• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

catsitter won't give cat back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Butterfly333

butterfly333;someone who i thought was a close friend offered to take care of my cat while i was between apartments. now he will not give my cat back because he is attached. what rights do i have by law?

JETX

Lets see...

1) In most states, cats (and other pets) are treated as property. As such, you could file a complaint with your local police department for theft of property.

2) If you are considering civil action, I assume that you will want to use the Small Claims courts. If so, most states only allow those courts to consider money issues, not really the return of property. So, you will need to show the actual 'value' of the animal to prevail in court. And hopefully, the amount would be high enough to convince the 'new owner' that it is best to return the animal rather than to pay the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">