• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CA or FL ... where do I file? pros and cons?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sf2mia

I currently live in CA. When I lived in FL (1/2000) I lent someone some money. I have been unsucessful in my attempts to collect payment. Where should I file and what are the pros and cons? Any and all suggestions/information are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JETX

Based on your post, and assuming that the Defendant still lives in Florida, you don't have a choice on venue. You must file in Florida. So much for the 'pros and cons' option.

S

sf2mia

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be flying back to FL in the near future.

JETX

Lest anyone confused my response with a venue statement, let me clarify why FL is the required venue.

1) Assuming that the Defendant does not have any available assets in CA, any awarded judgment would have to be domesticated into FL for enforcement. So, might as well start there.

2) The original post said, "When I lived in FL (1/2000) I lent someone some money.". Assuming that all conversations and agreements regarding the loan were also made in FL, that pretty much closes the door on jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">