• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

law enforcement personnel issuing citations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

engman

Nevada

Does a police officer have to be visible when he/she is using a radar gun to find out who is exceeding the speed limit?

Can they hide behind a billboard or any other object to catch offenders driving past the posted speed limit?

X

Xjudge

The vehicle cannot be camoflaged or items cannot be moved to to disguise the police vehicle. Using natural or manmade objects is legal. Some states require radar units to be plainly marked as police cars, other than that, its all legal.

E

engman

Xjudge said:
The vehicle cannot be camoflaged or items cannot be moved to to disguise the police vehicle. Using natural or manmade objects is legal. Some states require radar units to be plainly marked as police cars, other than that, its all legal.

NEVADA

What is the difference of a vehicle being camouflaged or items moved to disguise a police vehicle with a police car being hidden behind a natural or man made object??????

please elaborate

X

Xjudge

Police cannot use camoflaged painted vehicles. The officer cannot move objects to hide the vehicle. That is called intentional deception. Other than that, anything goes. They can hide behind billboards, signs, bushes, trees, garbage cans, buildings etc. They can use vehicles normally not considered as police vehicles, pickups, SUV's, sport cars. Police can use bridges, aircract, and buildings as platforms for using radar guns. A local small town police department even uses an officer on a bicycle to catch speeders. As a licensed motorist on the road, you assume all risks should you choose to not obey the law. I sounds as if you took a risk and lost. Time to pay up.

E

engman

Thanks for the reply

Actually I am a law abiding citizen with a clean record.

I'm trying to convince my friend that the police can give him a ticket even if they are not visible. He's the one with the lead foot !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">