• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step-parent issues in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smz11

i have recently read in this family column that it appears a custodial parent can deny a visit with the other parent if that parent is not home and only a step-parent or girlfriend/boyfriiend is home and is who the child will be visiting with - is this the law in florida?

i would also like any general information you could give me related to laws or legal rulings in florida about the rights of a step-parent or significant other (not legally married) - i.e. can this person take a child to the doctor, visit the child's school, attend school conferences, etc.?

one last question - i have also read in some internet legal sites that in some states that parents have gone to court over what a step-parent may be called such as mommy or daddy
(cases where the bio-mom or bio-dad object to their child calling an unrelated person mommy or daddy) - are there any laws or rulings in florida that deal with this issue

thank you for your help - i was so glad when i found your site - i need some help!

LegalBeagle

i have recently read in this family column that it appears a custodial parent can deny a visit with the other parent if that parent is not home and only a step-parent or girlfriend/boyfriiend is home and is who the child will be visiting with - is this the law in florida?

A court order for visitation is between the mother and father. If the father is not available for the pickup/exchange then you do not have to hand over the child to someone else. However, if the father does pickup the child and then places them with someone else, there is not much you can do about it. If you can prove that the father is spending next to no time with the child, then you may have a chance to re-petition the court to change the visitation.

one last question - i have also read in some internet legal sites that in some states that parents have gone to court over what a step-parent may be called such as mommy or daddy
(cases where the bio-mom or bio-dad object to their child calling an unrelated person mommy or daddy) - are there any laws or rulings in florida that deal with this issue

Not that I am aware of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">