• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amanda Cole

Minnesota.

I sold a guy my car, we had a contract and he breeched it by stopped making payments, I took the car back. About 15 minutes before I took the car back I went to the police station and asked them if I could take the car or if they needed to be with me,etc. They said since I had the title and it was still in my name to go ahead and take the car. I think they wrote up a report. Im now going to small claims for the damage he made to the car.

My question: Do I need to get the police report, if I can, to bring to small claims court for evidence that the police said it was Ok? Or do they know I wasnt doing anything wrong by repossesing my vehicle...?

PS When I took the car back it was on the side of the street and actually running with the keys in the ignition (although I had a copy of the key of course) no he was not in the car.

THANK YOU for taking the time to answer my question! :)
Amanda Cole

JETX

Since the title was in your name and you were able to 'recover' the car without breach of peace, you shouldn't have any problem having to show that the police okayed your actions (their approval is not legal and probably wouldn't have any bearing on the case anyway).

However, if it isn't too much trouble, get the police report anyway... it might have some other 'interesting' information that could help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">