• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ms. philpot or IAAL

• Thread starter truth is powerful
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

truth is powerful

OK I just went to my daughter's IEP (individualized education plan) meeting recently and was told my daughter is doing so well she does not require further services.Yes I am glad my daughter is doing well. My daughter is diagnosed with autism DSMIV criteria. I was perfectly aware that she was going to be in a regular kindergarten this year but believed because she had not met her pragmatic skill goals and was approximately 8 months behind in her speech in January that she would still be eligible for services at least once weekly. As it is I have taken courses on intervention strategies with autistic kids and have poured through many books on the subject, but I am by no means an expert or trained and no matter what I am her parent and that in it self makes an interesting dynamic when trying to work with her. She is much more connected to her family members anyway and reacts differently when working with us. The head start teacher kept punching me in the shoulder and telling the regional director at the meeting that she knows I will do right by my daughter and she knows I will get her the help needed and I am thinking they are all nuts. The criteria my daughter does not meet to get services is that she is not violent and she is reading before entering kindergarten so they say the autism is not in the way of her education. How could it hinder her cognatively when tested she was brilliant? So because she is gifted in some areas and we have taught her hitting hurts, they do not have the funding to help a child like her with the transition into a school environment. The speech pathologist whispered to me that sometimes parents get private services for their kids and sue the state for reimbersment on my way out. Like my kid needs me to take a chance on that and spend time and energy trying to get them to help her. It is crazy that they think she qualifies for no services and I just want her to be a happy healthy person and have the ability to interact with her peers and we were doing so much good work in that area. Any suggestions?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Sorry, this is not one of my areas. Therefore, I will defer to Dorene Philpot regarding your post.

I wish you and your daughter good fortune and good luck.

IAAL

T

truth is powerful

Well if I knew how to make a martini I would make you one anyway:)actually if I knew how to make any drinks I would make you one.............hmmmm would a chocolate espresso cheesecake suffice? Thank You!! I hope Dorene sees this.

D

dorenephilpot

Truth, justice and the American way!

The school merely has to show that your child is making "meaningful educational progress." It is not required to optimize her education.

I'm not sure from the facts given where your child falls in that spectrum.

If you admitted in the meeting that the school is making progress but that you want more, that's probably not going to help you.

However, like all schools, they probably committed so many procedural violations that you might still win at due process.

For instance, if they stated anything to the effect that they just don't have enough staffing or money to do what they'd like to do for your daughter, you've got 'em by the short hairs.

I would need to know more about the facts to give you any more info.

Check out ReedMartin.com and mayerslaw.com to fill yourself in on your and your child's rights and how the due process issue works for parents.

Let me know if you have other questions. OK?

T

truth is powerful

Get on the bat phone again LB:)

I was able to reach the second site you mentioned but not the first so far it looks like good information but a read requiring my little bug to be fast asleep to get my full attention so tonight I will go back to it. Thank you all so far and how many cheesecakes will that be?

T

truth is powerful

Thank you thank you it is a good one I will be spending time there. Cheesecake is made with lowfat cream cheese with all the chocolate you would never know the difference :) Aren't girlish figures for girls?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

truth is powerful said:
Thank you thank you it is a good one I will be spending time there. Cheesecake is made with lowfat cream cheese with all the chocolate you would never know the difference :) Aren't girlish figures for girls?
My response:

Not only is Dorene a girl, but she has a terrific look and, I imagine, figure too !

Va Va Va Vooooom !

Hey Dorene, if you're ever out in California, you've got to come to my office. We'll do lunch, then dinner, then breakfast. In that order. Youza !

IAAL

D

dorenephilpot

I don't know whether to giggle or blush, so I'll do both.
;-)

OK. Now that I have THAT out of my system:

Mom, call me if you want to talk about special ed law. It's a pretty specialized area of practice, and very few people know much about it. I stumbled into it as a baby attorney. (They told us in law school that we wouldn't pick our areas of law, that they would pick us.)

The mother in that first case was so desperate for someone to take it that she relied on me, someone who initially knew squat about it and told her so.

We got a phenomenal settlement in the first case, and because all these parents network, it's turning into a big area of my practice.

You'd think the schools would be savvy to the federal and state laws on these issues, but they are not. They commit all kinds of procedural violations every day.

The sad part of it is that the kids suffer -- and it's almost always because of money (and ignorance).

I can hook you up w/a few parents here in Indiana who have had to fight the schools in due process. In the process, they learned more about the laws than most lawyers out there know!

Hang in there, and keep fighting for your child.

D

dorenephilpot

I'm a morning person. ;-)

In addition, I have a 60-page brief in one of my school cases that is due tomorrow.

T

truth is powerful

Just an Update

I was able to bring something up during our meeting that kept her head start teacher thinking and the result was a discussion between the speech path and her self and then that spread to the regional director. I asked about Ratio. In her head start class it is a 1 to 4 ratio because there is an interperter there. In a kindergarten room it is 1 to 20 at best here. All agreed that it would be best to re-evaluate her in the new environment next year where it can be best dtermined if she qualifies behaviorally. The main thing I want is for her to be supported if she is not able to be a social memeber. Anyways thank you all. We will see how it goes in the fall.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">