• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we make a post-nup so hubby doesn't have to pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suzanneyt

I've already asked one question in this domain but this seems to be an alternative, if its possible.
We'd like to make a post-nuptial agreement before we have any children, that if we ever divorce my husband will not have to pay child support. Is it possible to make an agreement like this in the state of Florida? Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

No, not in any State. Children are not "property", and therefore, cannot be dealt with in the same or similar manner.

Each State has an interest in seeing to it that the children within its jurisdiction are given at least the minimum necessary support by both bioparents.

So, any agreement to "contract away" such responsibilities are null and void.

IAAL

MySonsMom

suzanneyt said:
I've already asked one question in this domain but this seems to be an alternative, if its possible.
We'd like to make a post-nuptial agreement before we have any children, that if we ever divorce my husband will not have to pay child support. Is it possible to make an agreement like this in the state of Florida? Thanks
Also, if this were legal; tax payors would most likely end up having to support those children. When you have children, it comes with A LOT of responsibility. It's a package deal.

G

Grandma B

Was it Tammy Wynette who sang . . .

"What part of no don't you understand?"

Ambr

i though Lorrie Morgan sang that one? maybe Tammy did it first.

Lorrie didn't listen to well, Sammy was a married man and off limits when she started her affair with him.

G

Grandma B

LegalBeagle said:
I just can not believe he brought her a rose in a bar!
Well now, there are bars, and there are bars! Could be it was a classy joint. (Or maybe he carries them w/him!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">