• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Antonin Scalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Federal

It appears it's time for a new Supreme Court justice. Reports state Antonin Scalia has passed.

So, does this give Obama a chance to leave an indelible mark on history by nominating a person that could cause a shift in the leanings of the court?

LdiJ

It appears it's time for a new Supreme Court justice. Reports state Antonin Scalia has passed.

So, does this give Obama a chance to leave an indelible mark on history by nominating a person that could cause a shift in the leanings of the court?
It does, but it also gives congress the chance to delay confirming any nomination until after Obama leaves office. Of course, Obama could simply nominate someone that is so good that neither party could object.

tranquility

My goodness. While one's political perspective can taint how you like him, having read his opinions for decades, I am truly sad. He was the best justice in a very long time. If you disagree, it is because you are thinking politics and not the law.

Again, I am sad.

tranquility

There will not be a nonsense politically correct baloney Democrat figure like Kagan approved. A Sotomayor? Maybe. The Senate will not approve political nonsense. Nor should they. Obama has the most important choice in front of him. Nominate nonsense that will fail; or, nominate reasonable and have a debate.

Proserpina

"Politics aside, we should all die full of years, with 28 grandchildren, in our sleep after quail hunting. Antonin Scalia RIP." - Ross Douthat.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
While I disagree with Scalia on many issues, it is sad he died. Obama will get to nominate but I look for the Senate to punt and not approve anyone until next year. God help us if Trump gets elected.

Proserpina

While I disagree with Scalia on many issues, it is sad he died. Obama will get to nominate but I look for the Senate to punt and not approve anyone until next year. God help us if Trump gets elected.
If that happens, we're all moving to a nice little island somewhere in the South Pacific.

I feel the same way about Scalia. One thing I can't escape though, is that he was true to himself. You got the real Scalia and not a watered-down, politically correct version.

LdiJ

From your mouth to god's ears. You and I may butt heads on a lot of issues but on that one we are in total agreement.

TigerD

I'll avoid any political comments. Scalia made an impression on America. As much as - if not more - than any single president. We are who we are as a nation in no small part due to his having been on the court.

TD

tranquility

You don't want a justice with H-U-G-E....um....brains?

Rwedunyet

AMEN.

Antonin Scalia was a major component of an interesting event that I participated in last year. There was a debate concerning Constitutional law and same sex marriage. The "two sides" of the fence were to debate in front of "undecideds", and the undecideds were to take a side after the debate. I was an "undecided" merely because my opinion doesn't fit with either side...I am not in favor nor am I against same sex marriage. At the end of the debate, neither side had persuaded me to join there side of the fence, and I ended up being the only person who refused to take a "side", simply because my stance did not fit with either side. Both sides had an opportunity to persuade me based on my own statement of opinion, but both sides were UGLY about my opinion, and I still refused to join either side.

The professor came to my rescue, stating that one of the Supreme Court justices (Antonin Scalia)had dissented with an opinion similar to mine. Scalia was my HERO that day! I read his dissent, and did not agree with much of what he said, but he came alot closer to sharing my opinions on same sex marriage than any other person has.

I've read several of his dissents. I didnt always agree with him, but his honesty and willingness to state his opinions freely despite the negativity that may result was refreshing. (and it didn't hurt that he saved my butt that day!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">