• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Why is this cop calling me at home over a speeding ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cassiesno

State: NE
I was issued a speeding ticket (first in 11 years). Two nights later, the cop calls my home at 10:50 p.m. and requests that I come down to the police station as he forgot to have me sign the ticket. I was in bed, and declined. The cop has continued calling, leaving messages on my answering machine, and always after 10:30 p.m.
As I understand it, my signature is not really necessary. I'm wondering if he isn't just using his badge to hook up with me. It's a little spooky. Is my signature really necessary? And can cops drive recklessly to catch up with a potential speeder? (like backing down a one way overpass)

C

cassiesno

Now two weeks after the ticket, this cop is still calling my house. He calls between 1030 pm and 230 am. The ticket was written at 730 pm, so obviously he is available earlier. Is this legal? He has called every other night, disturbing the sleep of others in the house (one person has to be up at 430 am and particularly upset).

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Since you have already told him to stop calling, and he refuses, it's time for you to go to the Criminal Courthouse and fill out, and file, a "Restraining Order", and get it signed by a judge. Then, have the Order served on the cop.

This "cop" is violating the "Anti-Stalking" laws of your State, by doing what he's doing.

Go get him !

IAAL

C

cassiesno

final entry

I appreciate the advice from I Am Always Liable. We live in a small community, and I have been fearful of retaliation should I complain. I finally had a long discussion with the Captain of the force--giving many more details than discussed here. The Captain apologized repeatedly, and the officer has been let go. Evidently there have been other complaints. Unfortunately, I had already paid the ticket in hopes that doing such would end the harassing calls. This would not have been necessary if I had taken my complaint to the department immediately. Learn a little every day.... Cassie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">