• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Store Alarms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

engman

State of NEVADA

My girlfriend and I were shopping at a Wal-Mart store and after paying for my merchandise, I proceeded to exit the Wal - Mart. To my surprise, the inventory alarm system of the store was activated. The employee at the exit doors asked me to step back so she can make sure that the cashier did not forget to deactivate the merchandise that I just purchased.

The employee was meticulously searching our shopping bags and at the same time making us look like thieves. The employee was determined to find the cause of the alarm activation, eventhough it was taking a long time. I told her that this was not funny anymore and that I know for a fact that I paid for all the merchandise. I was a 100% sure of it. I just wanted to leave, I felt very inconvenienced not to mention wrongfully detained.

Does that activation of the alarm give the store a right to detain me? They are not policemen and therefore do not have probable cause, anything could have activated that alarm.

If I did ignore the employee, knowing I did not commit a crime, can they (the store associates/employees) legally chase me and detain me?

If they do detain me can I sue the hell out of them ???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">