• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lemon computers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fueljunkie

I purchased a Compaq Presario computer less than 5 months ago. I have had nothing but problems with it and I am very dissatisfied!! Apparently, I am not the only one, if you were to go to the compaq website and access customer communites and read all the replies you will understand where I am coming from. I can't use my scanner, the softpaq cd I received will not work, I keep receiving an error message stating that there is an abnormal program termination when I try to update my compaq knowledge center. I receive error messages daily and I am about ready to pull my hair out. I have a one year warranty and I just emailed Sears to let them know of my dissatisfaction with this stupid, useless, pain in the a** computer. I work hard for my money and I am infuriated with this company and their worthless information they call support. HELP!!

TCB4U2B2B

Hello fueljunkie

Your most likely aware that "Lemon Laws" do not apply to any other product except New Cars. Therefore, your question within this forum isn't likely to get a meaningful reply.

You might try posting the specific details concerning the computers problems in the "Computers" forum at the below listed site. Some help can be found there.

In my experiences with Compaq Computers, ALL the problems where corrected over a brief period of time. However, the computer is most likely in need of a level 2 service person.

If they correct the problems while you wait and watch, {they dialup into your modem and YOU watch as they control the computer remotely...it's AMAZING!

Should you need further assistance, the level 3 techs take over and they do in fact get everything corrected remotely also.

You too must maintain your composure. It is a long process to get to either of these levels and they are helpful. It does take patients and kindness on your part.

I just happen to know several of these individuals. They are excellent, knowledgeable and care. But they too work for a living dealing with customers all day. Be Polite.

http://forum.doityourself.com/

If you think any other brand doesn't have the same or similar problems, then why do they also have phone help?

Regards and Good Luck.
TCB4U2B2B
A Guiding Light Out Of The Darkness....:)

G

Grateful

I can certainly understand the frustration in buying a new computer, and not having it work properly from day one. My husband and I are experiencing the same thing with our Dell computer that is only three months old. We have had nothing but problems. My husband has spent most of his non-working hours just this past week on the phone with Dell's tech support trying to get all the problems solved, but to no avail.
I guess I have two questions. When is enough enough, and does the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act apply in this case? The computer is not performing as it should, and Dell has certainly been given a lot more than three attempts to fix the ongoing problems.

JETX

I have been involved in computers for LOTS of years (since 1968) and have been the owner of a computer store and assembled over 100 of them myself, so I offer this advice.

Very few computers actually have true hardware problems. And when they do, it is obvious right away, they exhibit clear hardware problems early in their life. No power, no display, no hard drive activity, etc.

If your computer lights up and makes sounds (beeps, etc.) it is generally NOT a hardware problem. This leaves software (usually configuration) as the most likely culprit.

I have found that, by far, the majority of these 'problems' can be fixed by a complete reformat of the harddrive and a reinstall of the Operating System (MS Windows 9X, Me, NT, 2000, etc.). Depending on how much IRREPLACABLE information you have on the hard drive, this can be either a very simple task or a major, major ordeal.

If you have limited or no critical (need to have) data on the harddrive, the only thing you need to make sure of is that you have all the latest (or recommended) drivers for your devices (video, CDROM, sound, scanner, printer, etc.). Then, just reformat and reinstall everything.

If you have critical information that you need to keep, then you MUST backup the harddrive before formatting it. Then, after making sure you have a good, solid, accurate backup of your critical data, make sure you have all the latest drivers (see previous paragraph) and go for it.

I am almost willing to be that a reformat and reinstall will fix 95+% of the computers that are having problems. Then, those last <5%, should be sent back to the vendor for repair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">