• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car not on my credit report????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmixx

I bought a used car about 2 years ago and I recently found out that the car is not on my credit report. The car ran find for awhile but the transmission failed. I took the car to a transmission servicing station and repairs would range from $1800-$2500. I didn't want to pay that much to repair a 95 Dodge Intrepid so I went to a Nissan dealer to try and trade the car in. Well, to make a long story short; They pulled my credit and could not find the car on it. They thought that I had stolen the car because they couldn't find it on my credit. I had to show them my monthly statements that the bank sends me! The financial advisor there told me that basically, I had been wasting my money because I haven't been building my credit at all over the last 2 years! I had just graduated from college and had very little credit. He also told me that I can't be held responsible for the payments. Is this true?

JETX

I have no idea what this Nissan dealer is trying to pull, but their claims (that you had been waisting your money, etc) are just plain wrong.

You have absolutely been establishing a credit history with your payments. The problem is, that to date, it has only been established with your creditor. There is NO requirement that any creditor report you to a CRA (Credit Reporting Agency), especially if your payments are in accordance with the agreement.

Assuming that your payments have been on time, etc., I suggest that you contact your creditor and ask that they report your payment history to the credit agency. Then, all will be able to see it.

Let me give you an example... lets say that I buy a car from you on payments (it doesn't matter if you are an individual or a business). I have a good payment history with you. At some time, I decide to trade-in the car to a dealer. Should the dealer think that the car is stolen since you didn't report my good payment history to the credit bureau?? Of course not. The car title will clearly show that I either own or am making payments on that car.

The CRA firms are not really in the 'business' of reporting good credit. Since they are supported and paid by the credit firms, the fact is that their 'real business' is to protect the next creditor by giving them access to what your history is.

Your final question ("He also told me that I can't be held responsible for the payments. Is this true?"), is confusing. What does he (or you) mean about responsibility? For what??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">