• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workers comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CATCH22

i have just heard about workers comp making lump settlements to finish your case.well i have a couple of questions.i know it would probably be better to use a lawyer.but can you negotiate the settlement process yourself from start to finish?and if so would your benefits be cut off immediately until it was settled?is there a limit on what they will offer?especially if your not sure how long until you can go back to work.what are the odds of getting what you deserve without a lawyer?could you get a settlment and still have them pay your medical bills concerning your injury?how long would it take from finish to start? (approximate time?)what is the average cost of a lawyer in a workers comp case?is there a way of stopping the sarcastic comments from your contact person? in my case i hurt my back at work last year.i had surgery that didn't work.now i live with severe left leg pain.the doctor said there was nothing else he could do for me.then sent sent me to a pain management center.i've been on workers comp now for a little over a year.and am very tired of putting up with the arrogence at times from my contact person.i'am in desperate need of money but under no circumstance do i want to jeordize the amount of money i'am entitled to.but i would like to get it rolling and figure out what to do with the rest of my life.the insurance co has never given me problems in anyway shape or form.so i'm hoping this process will be dealt with in a epiedently manner.

N

NYSLaw

Compensation

First question would have to be, What State are you in dude?
An Attorney could have answered 90% of your questions.
There is a saying," One who represent themselves, presents a fool." I believe this to be true, based on real life experience. In 1990, after receiving numerous cuts, facial reconstructive surgery, lost front tooth and other injuries I went into a hearing while representing myself. The Law Judge awarded me $7,000.00, and closed the case. I was happy.
After several years and after receiving the knowledge in compensation cases I realized that my case could have received an award of up to $45,000.00, continued benefits and the case could have remained open. (In case of a reoccurrence injury)
There is no time limitation on compensation cases, a lump sum is an award rendered down by a Law Judge at a hearing based on the extend of your injuries.
Your compensation benefits are not discontinued because you were awarded a settlement.
When visiting Doctor's, Hospitals or Medical appointments in relations to the injury, save all receipts, CO-payments, tolls, medication and anything relate to the injury. You will be expected to produce your Medical and Travel Expenses during one of your Compensation hearings or you can submit this information to your Lawyer (if you have one), or to the Insurance Fund Carrier handling you case.
You must seek services from a Physiatrist, MD. And services from a Chiropractor, PC. These professionals would receive their pay through the compensation board or carrier once your case has been established.
You should receive a " Notice Of Decision " upon completion of all your compensation hearing. In one of those notices there should be a section that reads the amount of disability, modification of prior award, temporary disability, partial disability, all the numbered figures and a section that should read," Medical treatment and care, as necessary, for the established sites of injury and/or condition is authorized."
If you have this notice then your case has been established and you can render services from the Doctor's mentioned above.
Compensation Attorney's receive 1/3 of your award.
That's not bad when you take under consideration all the work being performed on your behalf, the knowledge and experience that comes with their representation.
Some Compensation Lawyers handle Social Security and Personal Injury as well, you may want to look into that.

Good Luck and Take Care...

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">