• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search & seizures rights void due to parolee friend?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cfh513

My friend is a parolee. I have no priors so I do have my search and seizure rights, or so I thought. Apparently, I was allowed those rights when stopped in his vehicle(he and the car were searched-my rights were acknowledged when I refused them the search), yet at his house, they searched my personal belongings and said I had no rights when in the presence of a parolee, whether it be my house or his. What's the actual bottome line in the state of California?
How can I have rights while in his vehicle yet not in his house, both are in his presence?

calatty

You have Fourth Amendment rights as property and areas of the house that are exclusively under your control. That would include your own room, if you do not share it with the parolee, your purse, etc. If you share the entire premises with the parolee, then it is subject to being searched.

C

cfh513

calatty said:
You have Fourth Amendment rights as property and areas of the house that are exclusively under your control. That would include your own room, if you do not share it with the parolee, your purse, etc. If you share the entire premises with the parolee, then it is subject to being searched.
How about searching my purse, on my shoulder, yet in his bedroom?

quincy

What if my friend who is homeless & on parole? Do the sheriff's have a right to come on to my property and force entry if the parole agent suspects her to be visiting?
This thread is 16 years old. Reviving old threads to add comments or questions is frowned upon on this forum. The archived threads are for reference purposes only.

You will need to start your own thread.

Please be sure to include with your question the name of your state when you repost.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">