• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LadyTeala

i live in california. i've been here my whole life. i'm 38 years old and recently divorced after 18 years of marriage. i would like to change my name back to my maiden name. i want to call my children by my maiden name and my married name. can i do that legally? i want to hyphenate it. is there any reason i can't do that? even if legally they are by his last name is there any reason i can't hyphenate the names the rest of the time? i don't want to sound redundant but i'm trying to make sure i'm clear. thank-you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

LadyTeala said:
i live in california. i've been here my whole life. i'm 38 years old and recently divorced after 18 years of marriage. i would like to change my name back to my maiden name. i want to call my children by my maiden name and my married name. can i do that legally? i want to hyphenate it. is there any reason i can't do that? even if legally they are by his last name is there any reason i can't hyphenate the names the rest of the time? i don't want to sound redundant but i'm trying to make sure i'm clear. thank-you.
My response:

In your efforts to make things "clear", you still confused the hell out of me !

Try this site:
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/changename/changenameFULL.html

If you have any questions after you've read that link, then c'mon back here and we'll chew the fat.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-12-2001 at 09:50 PM]

L

LadyTeala

Hi IAAL

Hi IAAL,

I thought perhaps an example. Say our married name is "Smith" but I want to go back to my maiden name "Jones" is it ok to register our children in school and anywhere else that we may register them by the name, Jones-Smith. I think legally their name would still be Smith. But is it ok to go by Jones-Smith other than in legal issues. My 9 year old daughter would like to use my name "jones" and his name "Smith". Thank you for helping me. {I hope I'm not confusing things even further and thank- you for the link.}

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Still confused ? Well, you won't be on our next episode of Soap !

I'm just rolling in the aisle on this one ! It seems the more you explain, the worse it becomes. All I can tell you is to read the suggested site. Thanks for writing.

Sincerely,

Alias Smith and Jones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">