• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bio-mom is trying to keep me from having contact with my stepdaughter. Can she??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LovingStepMother

ME- My 13yr old step-daughter is visiting her bio-mom out of state, My husband has primary custody of his daughter, his X has visitation twice a year.

My step-daughter and I have a wonderful mother/daughter relationship, before she left she said that she wanted me to call her, e-mail her, write to her, etc., as I always do when she goes for her visits, however her bio-mom tells me I'm not to send any e-mails to her computer,I leave messages on her answering machine asking her to call back collect, she will not let my step-daughter return any of my calls, Bio-mom has told me that she doesn't want me calling her house and that I'm not her mother nor will I ever be one to her daughter, etc, etc.

I have never done anything wrong and have always been cordial to my step-daughter's bio-mom. I know she's a woman scorned because she never received custody of her daughter, my husband has had custody since their divorce (10 yrs ago) I know she's a very jealous and insecure person. I've raised my step-daughter for the last 5 years and love her with all my heart, as if I gave birth to her myself.

Is there anything I can do legally, where she's trying keep my step-daughter and I from having contact? My step-daughter is gone until late August and I miss her very much!

My husband is able to contact his daughter and if he wants to send an e-mail he can, we work different hours, sometimes I'm only able to talk to her once a week,if that.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

MySonsMom

No, legally there is nothing you can do. You say that the bio Mom only has visitation twice a year? My suggestion....Let her have her visitation without conflict from you. If your husband can call and talk with her, schedule it when you can be there to talk as well. If not, wait until the girl returns home. Bio Mom deserves her visitation without conflict...Since it is only twice a year. Yes, you miss her. But don't cause problems over this, this way your stepdaughter will not be stuck in the middle of her 2 Mothers. (and you will gain respect in the long run)

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">