• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bandwidth43235

My wife and I had friends over last weekend and they brought their children. Over the course of the night the children ended up playing in our bedroom. My wife left her Wedding band and engagement ring in her jewelry box because her hand was swollen from a bee sting. After our company left we noticed that the engagement ring was missing. We ask our friends and their children if they knew where it was. One of their children said it was in her bookbag, but she had no clue how it got their. To make a long story short, now the ring is no where to be found. I am wondering if I have a legal right to the latest appraised value of the ring or just the purchase price of the ring. The difference over 15 years is about $3000.00. Please advise, thank you.

T

Third Party

Higher

In most cases, the property depreciates. In your case, if you had an official appraisal, you have good proof of the new value of the ring. Sue for the higher amount. The worse that could happen would be they lessen the judgment $3000.00.

A$$ Saver aka…
Disclaimer:
I hope this is tidbit of fiction is helpful. I am not an attorney. Do not perceive this as legal advice. You should consult an attorney to answer your questions. Do not rely on this advice. Forget you ever read it. You are not a client. I am not an attorney. This is merely babble in the wind. Never use the advice as reasoning in court.

JETX

Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with Third Party on this one.

What were the ages of the children?? If they were very young (usually 10 or under, depending on state laws) they can not be found liable for their actions, and unless you can prove that the parents were negligent, you probably have no case.

Also, lets not forget your own "percentage of liablity" issues. Did you leave the ring out where it could be found by children?? Did you know the children were playing in there?? What did you say or do when the one child said it was in her bookbag (it really doesn't matter how it got there)??

And finally, what PROOF do you have that the rings were in fact stolen and not lost or misplaced. The burden of proof will be on you to prove your claims. What will you say when your (former!) friends say, "Your honor, we have NO idea what he is talking about! Our children are absolute sweethearts and would NEVER play in someone else's bedroom!".

Bottom line... you should consider turning this in to your own insurance company for a claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">