• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADOPTION AND SSI PAYMENTS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mayosha

north carolina-i adopted a child with special needs. i had her as a foster child,she was receiving her full ssi benefits.when the adoption took place, social security billed me for over five thousnd dollars.they said it was an over payment because i was getting too much foster care subsidy. foster children have zero income,how was the subsidy counted as her income? dss had a account with 4800.00 in it for her. they paid social security that. that was suppose to be her money.the social workers did all the paper work when she was in foster care, nothing was ever said until the adoption.now i get adoption subsidy for her, and ssi limits her benefits based on that. do i need to get a lawyer to sort this out?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">