• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if I say I do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NorrisGlasson

I was recently asked by a friend of mine to marry his cousin. They are both Cambodian and she is visiting them
in the United States on a visa. They will pay me a certain amount of money if I marry her in order for her
to remain in the USA and get her green card. Supposedly, all I have to do is sign the marriage license and say
"I do", then after she gets her work permit and green card, we will divorce, leaving me free and clear. Do I need
to retain a lawyer on this matter or is it legit? If I
marry her, what are my responsibilities (legal)?

Worried,

Norris H. Glasson

LegalBeagle

NorrisGlasson said:
I was recently asked by a friend of mine to marry his cousin. They are both Cambodian and she is visiting them
in the United States on a visa. They will pay me a certain amount of money if I marry her in order for her
to remain in the USA and get her green card. Supposedly, all I have to do is sign the marriage license and say
"I do", then after she gets her work permit and green card, we will divorce, leaving me free and clear. Do I need
to retain a lawyer on this matter or is it legit? If I
marry her, what are my responsibilities (legal)?

Worried,

Norris H. Glasson
It is totally illegal.

Also, it is not just a case of saying 'I do' and then getting a divorce. You need to commit to supporting this 'alien' for 10 years.. ie, if she claims anything from the government in those 10 years, you get to repay it. Also, you will need to stay married to her until she can remove her 'conditional' status which is at least 2 years. So, your marriage will need to be 3 years from start to finish and to remove the conditional you will need to provide proof that you have been together all that time..

and here is the kicker.. you know how this person will get out of staying married? The moment she gets her conditional visa and work authorization, she will claim you have abused her, divorce you and then file on her own..

Good luck..

MySonsMom

LB,

You too are amazing. I think you just saved this man a lifetime (or at least many years) of hell.

God Bless our knowledgable people here at this site. :)

MSM

LegalBeagle

Of course, our poster might be hideously ugly, the women a stunning 10/10 beauty and he might be on his way to 3 years of the most incredible sexual experience of his life.. Would be worth the risk if you ask me !

MySonsMom

LegalBeagle said:
Of course, our poster might be hideously ugly, the women a stunning 10/10 beauty and he might be on his way to 3 years of the most incredible sexual experience of his life.. Would be worth the risk if you ask me !
This isn't a fairy tale LB, it's real life. NOBODY gets that lucky. :)

MSM

MySonsMom

Ms. Dorene has a fan. :)

Before we know it, Dorene and IAAL will be dating; and we can hear all about the awesome dates IAAL provides.

Dorene, get out your poodle skirt and get ready for the ride of your life! ;)

MSM

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">