• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to know my rights, and about police actions..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ethangio

I am a 20 year old college student in Scranton, PA. I was at a party that had a keg present. I was playing poker with my friends in the back (for cash, so drinking is not something that we do while playing). I come out of my friend's room in the back to be greeted by police officers in the front of the house apparently busting the party. This is pretty typical in this town. Here is where the story takes a bad turn:

(1) My friend from home (NJ) and myself are the last two people to be processed. After giving our information (name, dob, address) to the officer we are detained. Apparently he thought we were on drugs?? Or so he said. He detained us for 45 minutes, continually telling us that we were 'under arrest' and that 'no, you are not free to leave." He badgered us to see if we would admit to being guilty. After 45 minutes he let us go. I felt like my freedom was quite violated as he lied and held us under false pretenses.

(2) The officers involved in the bust, threated two female students with the arrest of a male student friend of theirs because the officers thought the girls were lying about their information, which they were not. The officers saw that the male student had a military id and was therefore on military scholarship and threatened that he would lose his money if he were arrested so the girls shouldn't lie.

(3) Also, the officers were selective in who they cited. If you lived in Scranton, regardless of age, you were free to go with no penalty. And even those of us from out of town/state, only a handful actually recieved citations in the mail after this incident.

(4) I don't know what this means. But on the carbon of the citation I received, there is a place where I was to have signed it as I received it. The officer wrote "filed" in this place. What does that mean??

Thank you for any help. I am in the process of contacting the District Attorney and the ACLU in this matter as well.

~Ethan

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">