• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possibly SS Fraud by parents...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PeregrinTook

Hello, I'm 18 years old and almost out of high school in Southern California. My problem is this:

My step father is 67 years old and receives Social Security, and is possibly thinking about retirment. I live with him and my mother, I have been living with them since January 3, 2000. I recieve checks from the United States Treasury IN MY NAME, but the thing is, my parents have me endorse them, and then my mother writes below my signature "Deposite to account #<blank>.

I do not know the account number, but they have told me that the money goes into an account for me to be able to use, yet I have not seen any of that money put to use for me.

I don't know if the checks are for Social Security, but I do know my step-father has me claimed as a dependant on his tax forms. I know it is money he has had taken out form his pay checks over the years also.

What I would like to know is: since the checks are in MY NAME, does that mean that the check is for me, to deposite where I choose, and dispose of how I see fit, or is what my parents doing correct, or against the law. It seems somewhat fishy to me since I don't have too much of a good relation with either of them, but I need some help with this.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

-Pipp

M

mary ray

It sounds like you're receiving Social Security benefits. You're an adult. Why are you doing this? This is crazy! Do not endorse anymore checks! Call Social Security and ask them if you are receiving benefits. If you are then you can have your check direct deposited into YOUR account. SSA's tel # is 1-800-772-1213.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">