• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ouch! 18mph over limit, 1st offense, 4 pts for daughter!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MomofGoodDriver

from colorado: at almost midnight this week while driving home, my daughter received her first (and hopefully her last) speeding ticket for going 18 mph over the speed limit (53 in a 35 mph zone on a broad and well-traveled street, in a commercial area and about to enter a major highway). she is in tears and very upset with herself (recently graduated cum laude from college, high achiever, in a new job, is very ethical, etc). the officer told her to wait 2 weeks before calling the number on the ticket. he gave her 4 points on the ticket for her first offense, and he said she "could call the phone number in two weeks, without appearing in court, to try to plea down the points."
two questions: 1. should she ask if there is a defensive driving school option she would attend, for which she would pay some fee, but on completion would have no points on her record (as some states do have)? 2. if driving school is not an option in colorado, how would she best plead her case by phone to lower those points, and should she have a lawyer advising her on the phone call?
comment: i wonder why this officer didn't just give her a warning for her first offense, or even fewer points? i've heard of people going 120 mph past school buses getting 4 points, but this is a big blow for a first offense. she was very respectful too and was "in shock" that she was given so many points. she says she feels like a criminal. thank you for your valuable input. she'll do what is legally necessary to comply.
momofgooddriver (sad)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">